Help fix tech
The Collab Lab is on a mission to fix tech, an industry rife with gatekeeping and inequity. Our participants reflect the diversity we want to see in tech, with an emphasis on supporting people from groups typically underrepresented on software teams. Joining us as a mentor is a way to give back and help early-career developers gain their footholds in tech.
Ready to do this? Tell us about you through our mentor application form!
What it entails
The time expectation for mentors is the same as for our participants: 5 hours per week. We intentionally structure the program this way to reduce barriers to participation.
As a mentor, your job is to work with your fellow mentors (typically 3 mentors per cohort) to help our participants learn how to collaborate on a software team. In a typical week, this may involve the following activities:
- Helping your pair understand the acceptance criteria for their issue for the week
- Answering questions on Slack during the week (and occasionally jumping on a Zoom call) to keep your group unblocked
- Reviewing your pair’s PR
- Attending your team’s weekly sync call where they demo their work
- Presenting a 15-minute learning module on a topic such as how to even code review or how to more effectively pair program (if that sounds intimidating, don’t worry, we have materials you can use as inspiration!)
- Always, always, always boosting your team on Slack (the more GIFs and emoji the better!) 🎉
Our mentors are professional web developers and engineering leaders. We want you to be able to speak to your team from your experience in the trenches of software development. But that doesn’t mean you can’t contribute if you’re still early in your career! Successful Collab Lab mentors have ranged from 2 to 20+ years of experience in the industry.
We kick off a new pair of cohorts every 9 weeks, so it’s always a good time to let us know you’re interested in helping out!
When you’re ready, tell us about you through our mentor application form.
Still not sure whether mentoring for The Collab Lab is a good fit for you? Please don’t hesitate to email Andrew at firstname.lastname@example.org to get your questions answered.