You can do this!
The Collab Lab exists to help early-career developers gain their footholds in tech. Our participants are all early-career developers, many of them veterans of coding bootcamps or self-study, some of them a year or two into their tech careers.
We don’t teach coding, so you need to already have a baseline of skills to get in, but what you gain from Collab Lab is experience working on a software team, led by people in the industry, on a project structured in a way very close to what you’d see at many companies.
How to apply
Our next cohort will kick off on October 3, 2021. The application window will be open from September 12 – 18. We will notify you of your status the following week.
Return to this page between September 12 & 18 to submit your application.
If you’d like us to remind you by email that the application window is opening, submit your email address on this form (will open in a new window).
Here are the questions we’ll be asking you to answer:
- Pronouns – Your identity is important to us.
- Region – In July, we will run teams in North America and Europe/Africa.
- Time zone – For July 2021, we will run teams based in North American and European/African time zones. 🌎🌍
- Do you agree to abide by The Collab Lab Code of Conduct? – This is non-negotiable. If you want to participate, you must agree to follow the Code of Conduct.
- Link to a code repository (e.g., GitHub, Gitlab, Bitbucket, etc.) or other example of your work – We use GitHub to host our projects, but mostly this question is about seeing examples of your work so feel free to point us to anything that represents you well. Your best bet is to link directly to a React project. Thanks!
- What do you hope to learn from participating in The Collab Lab? – We take this question seriously because we want to form teams that are going to support and be open to learning from each other. We are interested in your motivations and aspirations, so help us get to know you!
- What have you done to learn coding so far? – It’s super helpful for us to understand your coding journey. There is no right or wrong answer to this one!
What happens after I apply?
Not surprisingly, you’ll fall into one of the following categories:
- 🤗 You get accepted. Yay! We’ll be in touch with next steps.
- 😥 You get rejected. For now…try again!
We anticipate more applicants than we will have slots. If you’re qualified, but the numbers just didn’t work out, we’ll let you know that and you can totally apply the next time using the same info. If, on the other hand, we evaluated your experience and determined you didn’t meet the minimum requirements in some way, we’ll let you know that, too. That way you can put in the work to increase your chances of being accepted before the next application window opens.
So, yes, you may have to apply multiple times in order to be selected. The good news is, you’ll know where you stand!
If you have any questions about the application process or what it’s like to participate in a Collab Lab cohort, please don’t hesitate to email Andrew at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you so much for your interest in The Collab Lab! We look forward to working with you at some point in the future!